Friday, February 10, 2012

Toraño Loyal BFC

We've had a bit of a weird winter here in Tennessee this year with days reaching into the mid 60s and mild temps overnight around 50. As a result,  I decided to enjoy an unseasonably warm evening on my deck and try out the Toraño Loyal. I ended up auditioning the BFC,  something else a little different for me during this peculiar season.


Upon my initial inspection, the cigar had a few small to medium veins, but nothing unsightly. It was firm, but not hard and had an overall nice oily sheen on it's milk chocolate Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. I detected some earthy notes and a bit of spice prior to lighting.  Once lit, I noticed the same in the first few draws as well. About midway through the first 3rd, I also picked up on some hay and cedar notes.


With plenty of smoke, I headed into the second 3rd of my smoke. The sweetness tapered off and revealed a bit more cedar and spice which was accompanied by leather. At this stage is when the cigar became fuller making it a solid medium bodied cigar. The ash held on for from between 1/2" to 3/4" pretty consistently.


Finishing up the cigar, I found that the preceding leather and cedar notes of the second 3rd falling away, introducing a nice cocoa taste. Additionally, I also detected the occasional coffee notes as I got into the back half of the final 3rd.  The smoke remained voluminous and the cigar never needed a touch up and kept an even burn throughout. 


The Loyal is a great smoke and at a very reasonable price. The Toraño family remains loyal to their customers in this regard, and as a result, customers remain loyal to the brand. I give this smoke an 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment