Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rocky Patel 1961 Toro Natural

I guess it was time I finally got around to reviewing something by Rocky Patel.  There's been no real reason that has kept me from reviewing one of his cigars, it's just that sometimes you get busy and in the humidor world, it's first in/last out unless you're looking for something specific.

So this time, I dug up a Rocky Patel 1961.  Named after the year of Rocky's birth, the 1961 is a beautiful, well rolled, Nicaraguan cigar with a Honduran binder.  The chocolate Ecuadorian Habano wrapper has rather small veins and a nice oily sheen.  The initial aroma was that of earthiness and sweet tobacco.


Lighting the stick was a breeze creating nice, voluminous smoke.  The draw was great throughout, as was the burn, needing no touch-ups.  In the 1st third, I detected earth, hay and sweet tobacco notes.  Heading into the 2nd third, the cigar became more woodsy with the occasional cedar flavor.


Heading into the last third, coffee came to the forefront, mixed with some cream and pepper as well.  The stick was solid, and the ash held on for around one and a half to two inches.


The 1961 is definitely a medium-to-full bodied cigar.  However, not being overly complex helps makes it pretty well balanced.  It is something that I would definitely recommend, and maybe would pair it with a bourbon or whiskey.  I think I'll try that next time. 

If I could go off on a tangent real quick, I would suggest to Rocky  to create a special blend that would be for brick and mortar stores only.  You make great quality products, but there's a lack of enthusiasm in the shops when anyone can buy the same cigars for cheaper online.  20 million a year is a great deal of cigars, but maybe it could be more with more loyalty on both sides of the counter?  Just an idea.

Anyway, as I stated earlier, the 1961 is a great cigar that I would definitely recommend.  I give it a rating of 90.

No comments:

Post a Comment