Sunday, January 15, 2012

Perdomo Grand Cru Maduro

The other day, I was going through my cigars to find something different than what I had been smoking lately.  I came across a Perdomo Grand Cru Maduro Toro that I picked up about a year ago and thought I'd give it a shot.  I was heading to a club which is cigar friendly and decided to do a review of it there.  So I grabbed my camera and put in some new batteries, and headed downtown.  

When I got to the club I ordered a Crown on the rocks and took out my camera.  Wouldn't you know it, the "fresh" batteries I just put in the camera were dead.  Fortunately my phone has a built in camera, although the flash is a little harsh when used, but it'll do.

The Nicaraguan grown leaves from Cuban seeds made for a nice looking stick.  The chocolate wrapper had few veins, none of which were too large.  It's aroma was that of sweet tobacco and fresh cut hay.  The foot was neatly packed which worked well with the cigar being lit only once.


Upon lighting, my initial notes were that of the tobacco and hay that I encountered earlier with its aroma.  There was plenty of smoke with each draw without working hard for it.  As it burned, I noticed it was burning a bit uneven, as you can see below.  The ash held on well, falling about an inch to an inch and a half.




Entering into the 2nd third, the flavors changed a bit. I tasted leather, and a bit of coffee.  The smoke was still plentiful, but the burn still went uneven after a touch up.  Near the end of the 2nd third, I got more of a creamy flavor while the leather notes dissipated.


Into the final third, the creaminess remained strong, the coffee notes returned, and spice made itself known.  I felt this was the best of the entire cigar.  The smoke was still plentiful and the flavors were well balanced. And it paired well with the Crown.


Despite having a couple of minor burn issues with the cigar, the cigar was a good cigar.  It produced proper smoke, had pleasing aromas, and had nice flavors.  For an inexpensive cigar, I'd say it'll definitely be worth picking some up.  I'm rating this as an 88.

No comments:

Post a Comment