Friday, August 24, 2012

Emilio Draig K

Emilio, the new kid with serious clout on the boutique block, recently released the limited Draig K.  And I'm sure you've noticed the buzz about this company and it's latest offering all over the web. So, with this kind of excitement, I decided to pop over to a local cigar shop to pick it up and tried it out in the Toro.  (Now, there was a notice from Emilio that unfortunately the cigars were a little damp from when they were shipped and that the cigars should be given 3-4 days to dry out a bit.  I dry boxed mine for 2 days before trying it because I wanted to review it before #CHAtweetup2012.)  I ended up pairing this with Chivas Regal 12 year Scotch.


Behind the pink dragon on the band (homage to Gary Griffith's Welsh heritage), the Draig K has a beautiful, slightly oily dark Colombian wrapper showing virtually no veins.  There didn't seem to be any issues with the wrapper or cap, but it was a bit springy from probably not drying it a little more.  I picked up notes of hay and probably the sweetest tobacco scent I've ever had.  I toasted the foot with relative ease and had a good amount of smoke as a result.



Into the first third and I found a woody taste, like oak, as well as earthy notes.  I even found just a hint of chocolate as a treat.  However, I quickly found that I had a bit of a burn issue from the thick wrapper that was still a bit more moist than is ideal, but as I said, that was my fault for not giving it another day or so to dry as was suggested. Nothing that a quick touch up wouldn't fix.






Entering into the middle third, I got a nutty flavor and also discovered what I would consider a berry taste.
More like a blueberry than blackberry or raspberry.  It almost felt like breakfast...but with scotch instead of O.J. 


Rounding out the cigar in the final third, oak returned with hints of leather, graham and chocolate.  Nothing was ever harsh as this seemed to be really well-balanced.  It was even milder than I thought it would be, but still on the medium/full side of things. It had a great draw throughout, and despite the touch-ups (which was more my fault for not wanting to wait another couple of days), this was a great cigar and something I would recommend.  I give this Emilio offering a 91.



No comments:

Post a Comment