Friday, July 1, 2011

Acid One

Last Wednesday night was Cigar Night at Arrington Vineyards, the local winery just south of Nashville.  For those who don't know, Kix Brooks (of legendary country duo Brooks & Dunn) is partial owner and the man loves his wine and cigars.  And fortunately for us, it was Drew Estate's turn on this particularly beautiful Summer evening.  



I had the opportunity to hang with Zev, the Drew Estate rep for this area, and was introduced to a couple of cigars I've not tried before.  One of them was the Acid One.  Acid is a company I've been familiar with for a while and currently have a box of the Kuba Kuba, but the One was something new to me and was different than what I anticipated. 



The Acid One Cameroon wrapped Torpedo was neat, but wasn't quite as firm, nor aromatic, as I expected.    However, any doubt of it being enjoyable would soon be removed when I put the cigar in my mouth.  Zev told me that this line goes through a unique sangria infusion, which was rather evident.  Couple it with the sweet taste of molasses and you have a smoke that you don't want to put down.  Lighting the cigar was easy.  The draw was large without being too loose and the smoke was very smooth and cool.  I immediately detected caramel with a hint of spice which stayed throughout the evening.

Coming into the 2nd third, the spice bumped up a little and introduced a bit of leather into the mix.  The burn was steady, the ash surprisingly firm, and I ended up getting 2  inches before it finally caved under gravity's influence. 



Going into the home-stretch, the One maintained it's pace and characteristics like a marathon runner.  The medium-bodied cigar was just as smooth and just as sweet at the end as it was in the beginning.  I only had to relight once, and it was here at the very end.



The Acid One is a smooth, sweet, non-aromatic, flavor-infused cigar that was extremely enjoyable leaving me wanting to share it with others.  It's a treat by itself, or paired with a nice steak or wine.  This is a cigar that I definitely recommend.  I know a great deal of "traditional" cigar smokers say they won't touch an Acid, or a flavored cigar, and I know that Cigar Aficionado has a policy against reviewing "flavored" cigars, but I think they're a bit extreme.  Many dip cigars in their drink (brandy, cognac, rum, etc) to enhance the smoke with an "added" flavor.  But I digress, and will continue with my review.  I give it a score of 91.

No comments:

Post a Comment