Saturday, June 18, 2011

Oliva Serie G Cameroon Robusto

I decided to review an Oliva cigar, a brand I've not tried before but have heard good things about.  I ended up going with a Robusto since we were having rain come through my area and I didn't want a particularly long smoke.  I was at the wine store a little earlier and the worker there had just received a shipment of Petra Santa Chardonnay he was fond of and recommended, so I bought a bottle to try while I smoked the Oliva.  The wine was alright, but would have preferred a Kendall-Jackson.  Anyway, on to the cigar.

 
First impressions of this African-Cameroon wrapped Robusto were pleasant.  Having a neat cap, and wrapped well to the foot,  this firm well-packed stick had a slight sweet aroma and taste and was slightly oily.  When lit, the Cuban-Seed Nicaraguan binder and filler burned with little trouble and the first draw came with ease.  Immediate was the sweet impression I first experienced earlier coupled with a vanilla-like creaminess and a hint of spice.

Entering into the 2nd third, I experienced leather and more spice.  The smoke was a bit lacking at times yet the cigar still smooth, even with retrohale. I could get about an inch and a half of ash before it would fall, a constant throughout the evening.  However, I did have to relight not once but twice. 


Into the final third, the leather and spice remained, but I did pick up a hint of coffee.  As I got closer to the head, the cigar became drier and I did get a bit of a burned taste.  On the positive side, the cigar never got too hot like some cigars at the very end.


My final prognosis is that this is a good cigar, which remained mild and smooth as evidenced by the creamy, vanilla and leather taste, with some hints of spice and coffee.  The downside was my having to relight the cigar twice and on a few occasions, I had to puff a few times to produce smoke and ended up with a bit of a bitter, burned taste at the end.  I do believe that the windy evening from the bad weather contributed to a less than ideal experience and contributed to what I believe could have been a better score.  Overall, the cigar was a good smoke and I give it an 82.  I'd like to try this again in the future and see what happens in a better setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment